Okay. OKay OKAY. Did I mention how hearts will be broken??? No? Well, HEARTS WILL BE BROKEN.
THE BOY WHO STEALS HOUSES by CG Drews
Can two broken boys find their perfect home?
Sam is only fifteen but he and his autistic older brother, Avery, have been abandoned by every relative he’s ever known. Now Sam’s trying to build a new life for them. He survives by breaking into empty houses when their owners are away, until one day he’s caught out when a family returns home. To his amazement this large, chaotic family takes him under their wing – each teenager assuming Sam is a friend of another sibling. Sam finds himself inextricably caught up in their life, and falling for the beautiful Moxie.
But Sam has a secret, and his past is about to catch up with him.
My review/random thoughts:
Sam steals houses. He just wants a home, but the only way he can get one is to break in and stay in random houses. Eventually, he’s caught, is basically adopted, and he and his brother find friends. The De Laineys are basically the Weasleys.
- SO SWEET WTH WHY IS HE A CHILD CRIMINAL.
- He’s so adorableeee
- Well written too!
- The twins JACK and JEREMY:
- Basically Gred and Forge.
- What’s not to love????!!!!
- Amazing! AMAZING! She sews??? Bad at cooking? Just so freakin cool. And she takes care of her siblings without a mother which sounds so hard! (It’s hard for me to help my siblings and I still have both my parents)
- Also, Moxie is 40s slang for ‘courage or strong nerves’ which is very true of Moxie.
- THE DE LAINEYS IN GENERAL
- The Weasleys
- I can see right through you, Cait.
- The Weasleys
- Ew no.
- I HOPE SHE GOT ARRESTED
- Reminds me of Meg in the first season of Supernatural
- (this girl)
WHAT I LIKED:
The Goldilocks retelling?? AMAZING??!!!! And IDK how she writes this thing cause I’m never bored. I never get worried that it would be a waste of money to buy the book. Just amazing.
WHAT I DISLIKED:
The ending was confusing??? Random stabs and stuff but ??? (Can’t talk about it without spoilers)
ROMANCE (IF ANY) IN A GIF:
(Trust me, this GIF makes sense when you read the book)
“The sun bathes the world in dusky blues and pinks. It hits the butter-yellow house and turns it into glittering gold- the only gold Sam couldn’t steal.”
“Potatoes are better than boyfriends anyway.” (deleted scene)
The deleted scene found on A Little But A Lot
The scene where Jack and Jeremy talk to Sam about Moxie. The best. So Gred and Forge.
RATED ON A SCALE OF ETERNAL GLITTER TO A BOUQUET OF STARS
Caramel candies! (Eight/nineish)
A+ book Cait! I wish I could write like that! KEEP IT UP FOR THESE POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS.
Now we just need the last book! Then it’ll be a Fury Family!!!