Aru Shah and the End of Time is a Rick Riordan Presents book by Roshani Chokshi. I read this book like five hours ago and I already want to re-read it. It has almost twice as much humor as Uncle Rick’s. (not kidding. Just look at the index of foreign words. Rick has no humor there.) (Also I’m not getting paid, even though I’d like to. I’m just doing this because I liked it soooo much.)
A quick spoiler free summary. (a summary of the summary on the book) Aru Shah is a twelve year old girl who lies. A lot. She gets caught in it, and is forced to light a supposedly cursed lamp. This book is full of Indian mythology. (Including naga, which are snake people. I love naga especially Nagini which is from this mythology. Back on track.) Turns out it actually was cursed. Now she has to go on a billion quests to stop the Sleeper from destroying time. Yay! She is joined by a grumpy pigeon, a germophobic girl by the name of Mini, and, oh yeah, Aru’s FABULOUS SPIDERMAN PJS!!! SHE WEARS THEM THE WHOLE BOOK!!! Oh yeah there’s always a deadline. COME READ THE SUSPENSE! Did I mention of Indian mythology? I LOVE IT SOOO MUCH I NEED THE NEXT BOOK BUT I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL APRIL WHY MUST LIFE BE SO HARD UGH.
Favorite character: I really like all of them, but that snake-boy that made Mini walk into a telephone pole was great! In all seriousness, I really liked Mini. She’s so paranoid. I’d be that type of hero.
Favorite random thing: THE WISDOM COOKIES THAT TASTE LIKE YOUR FAVORITE BOOK! (The Prisoner of Azkaban, my favorite book, would taste like tea, caramel, black licorice, and cat hair.)Also the obsession with oreos.
Favorite quote: I have too many. Here’s some spoiler-free ones.
- “You are the <omitted for possible spoilers>,” hissed Aru, ”You don’t walk into a telephone pole because of a boy.” (The lines after are totally a me thing but I’m too lazy to write an entire page. Anyway that could be plagiarizing.)
- Maybe if she’d looked at how Legolas had used a bow instead of, you know, just looking at Legolas, she would’ve been a little bit more prepared. (me again. This author could be me in another body. I’m going to make this my senior quote or something. I’ll think about it. )
- “Why so serious?” “Serious or Sirius?”
- [on unicorn horns] “Yeah, but they’re supposed to be all peaceful and nice. Why would a unicorn need a horn? What’s it do with it?”
- Mini turned red. “I dunno. for shooting off magic and stuff.”
- “Or they use it to maul things.”
- “That’s horrible, Aru! They’re unicorns. They’re perfect.
- “Maybe that’s just what they want you to think.” She, personally, did not trust anything that had a built in weapon and claimed not to use it. yeah right.
Yeah so my favorite quotes. And everything else. DROP WHAT YOU’RE DOING AND READ IT NOW! Please???